[TriLUG] OT: blocking flash

Justis Peters jtrilug at indythinker.com
Thu May 6 11:55:32 EDT 2010

Matt wrote:
> Just to add $.02 to this.  It is unfortunate, but true that Flash has
> been over used and abused by too many developers  In response to the
> annoyance, one of the things that I keep installed in the browser is
> flash block.  Mostly this is to avoid all the animated ads that suck up
> bandwidth and are visually annoying.  The side effect is that legitimate
> flash, such as what your customer wants get thrown out with it.  While
> the blocker is supposed to allow you to easily turn a particular frame
> on, it doesn't seem to work really well.  The net result is that I can't
> effectively use flash based sites.  if I REALLY, and I mean REALLY want
> what is on that particular site I will go to the trouble to disable the
> flash blocker, but better than 9 times out of 10, I just go somewhere
> else.

You probably want to try NoScript: http://noscript.net/

It blocks flash, javascript, and java *and* is highly configurable. You
can whitelist and blacklist, based on top-level domain, FQDN, and even
URI scheme. You can also grant temporary permissions, which revert to
the default when you restart the browser.

Kind regards,
Justis