[TriLUG] TriLUG Digest, Vol 1037, Issue 1

John Brier johnbrier at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:39:37 EDT 2010

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:55:32 -0400
> From: Justis Peters <jtrilug at indythinker.com>
> Subject: Re: [TriLUG] OT: blocking flash
> To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion <trilug at trilug.org>
>
> You probably want to try NoScript: http://noscript.net/
>
> It blocks flash, javascript, and java *and* is highly configurable. You
> can whitelist and blacklist, based on top-level domain, FQDN, and even
> URI scheme. You can also grant temporary permissions, which revert to
> the default when you restart the browser.
>
> Kind regards,
> Justis

I do use Flashblock actually, it isn't as fine grained as noscript
sounds, but you can whitelist sites, and I often do that for sites
that I need flash on.

I agree with most of the comments in the thread, though to remind you
this is for a friend of a friend. I forwarded one or the two emails
summarizing all the reasons flash may not be a great idea, but
remember, don't shoot the messenger. ;-)

I don't need convincing.

JB