[TriLUG] Intel processor Temperaturs

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Wed May 12 10:55:54 EDT 2010

There is a short answer and a long answer.

The short answer goes something like what John Broome wrote. That might
be enough in many cases.  The long answer covers several measurements
you may not even be aware of unless you are designing custom equipment
or overclocking.  I'll mention a few of these and encourage some further
investigation for interested readers of this thread.

When considering CPU temperature it is first important to get some
common basis for describing where temperature is being measured, and
some consistent terminology to describe the relationship between power
and heat as these pertain to CPUs.  The main terms to be familiar with are:

Maximum Theoretical Power (MTP) = the maximum amount of power a CPU
could potentially draw
Thermal Design Power (TDP) = the maximum amount of power your cooling
system must dissipate
Temperature Case (TCase) = commonly known as CPU temperature
Temperature Junction (TJunction) = commonly known as core temperature
Temperature Delta (TDelta) = the delta between TCase and TJunction
Ambient Temperature = the temperature of the room surrounding the CPU
Case Temperature = the temperature inside the case (or the air in close
proximity to the CPU)

Let's avoid trying to expound too much on the first law of
thermodynamics here and just generalize by saying a CPU consumes
electrical energy as it applies power to its transistors. This act,
along with the impedance of the electrical circuits causes this energy
to be dissipated in the form of heat.  Heat leads to instability in
electrical circuits, so it has to be prevented. There are two ways to
deal with it. First, use only as much energy as you must. Second,
provide a cooling system capable of dissipating the heat generated by
this amount of power.

Manufacturers don't expect you to run their CPUs at MTP and nether
should you. Instead, they describe expected operational power
consumption by referencing TDP.  This number is more a categorization
than anything else. A CPU with a TDP of say 65 might be a good choice
for a HTPC system using mostly passive (and quiet) cooling. A CPU with a
TDP of 140 is a good candidate for a more aggressive active cooling
solution.  However, it is not uncommon when overclocking to exceed TDP
by 50% or more.

Intel doesn't offer any TDelta specifications for normal operation.
Instead, they state the recommended maximum TCase at the maximum TDP for
each part. What does this mean? Basically, if you have a better cooling
solution then you'll be able to dissipate more heat and therefore
operate with more power consumption while maintaining a reasonable
TCase.  This is where we start to get into overclocking and need to
start paying attention to the specifics of each CPU.

In the specific example of your E7500 the recommended maximum TCase is
74.1C at at TDP of 65W.  You are within that limit and since this is a
conservative recommendation you should have no worries whatsoever.  As
suggested, if you decided to add improved cooling you could bring down
the TCase value, but this would gain you nothing unless you also planned
to increase power in order to overclock for faster performance.

Best,

Ryan