[TriLUG] Intel processor Temperaturs

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed May 12 16:39:36 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 12:15:44 Bill Farrow wrote:
> 2010/5/12 Cristóbal Palmer <cmp at cmpalmer.org>:
> > If you two want some common software to test with:
> >
> > $ dpkg -l stress |grep ^ii
> > ii  stress                                     0.18.9-1
>
> I have spent quite a bit of time doing thermal testing on various
> platforms, evaluating different thermal solutions etc.  The main tool
> I been using to raise the CPU temperature is the "cpuburn" package.
> This is perfect for testing CPU heatsinks, sensors, and thermal zones.
>  For other parts of the system I need to use different techniques, for
> example using iperf to generate network traffic to push the NIC
> controller chips.

Just be sure to read the warnings that come along with cpuburn. I'm not saying
that stress is any safer, or even that my random number generator is any
safer, but I'd advise doing a backup before using these programs, and maybe
unmounting your data drive (if you have a separate data drive or data
partition).

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package