[TriLUG] exchange replacement

Brian Cottingham spiffytech at gmail.com
Thu May 20 11:31:56 EDT 2010

Google accounts can sync with the iPhone using fake-Exchange. Visiting
m.google.com/sync will give you instructions for configuring an ordinary
Google or Google Apps account.

Using Google's fake-Exchange service will put your Google Calendar
appointments right into your iPhone calendar program, where offline
appointments work. It'll also puts your mail into the "Mail" app.

The iPhone doesn't have a native Tasks app, and AFAIK you can't sync the
native Notes app with anything but iTunes. In the App Store is an app called
"Todo" that can sync with Remember the Milk and ToodleDo for web-based
desktop access. Each of those services has iPhone apps, too. I don't know if
Google has an API for their todo list; I haven't heard of one, nor have I
seen any programs sync with it.

-Brian