[TriLUG] How do I create an encryption key for windows Outlook from a linux box

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:49:10 EDT 2010

You mean a self-signed CA cert?  Sure, but these certificates may
issue warnings and require extra configuration to use.  Not a big deal
if only used between two people, or on a private LAN.

S/MIME is what you should search for.  It uses regular X509
certificates, and both Enigmail and Outlook support it.  Where you get
your certificates is secondary.  Any X509v3 certificate will work.  I
just don't like maintaining a Certificate Authority (self signed) when
certificate signing by bona-fide authorities is available for free,
which is the case for e-mail certificates.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com