[TriLUG] web window size

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Jul 20 15:38:57 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:10:20PM -0400, Matt Flyer wrote:
> I agree, divs and css should get you the result you desire.
> Try wrapping the <body> </body> portion with a div and assign it an ID
> like wrapper.  Then in your style sheet, you can specify the width
> parameter as a percentage rather than as px.  You will want to keep all
> your sizings relative using percentages, ems, etc.  That way your page
> should scale to the browser window, regardless of size.

Hmmm.  That might be the proper approach.  I have been trying to make the page shrink, but maybe I need to make it fill the boundaries.  Let me try.

I didn't know that you could put anything outside the BODY, and FireBug seems to agree.  It moved the DIV to inside the Body.

In any case, that doesn't seem to have helped.  What I need is to make the content expand ( I guess through some way of saying that the width is X and the font size is ( X * Y ) em. ) to fit the space that the browser insists on allocating.  So, for instance, if  1em is 12pt on a screen that is 350 px wide, then if I said that the font size was 36pt on a screen that is 1024 px wide, that might do the trick.  Seems a bit clunky, though.