[TriLUG] Linux-friendly UPS Options?

Shane O. shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 13:55:56 EDT 2010

All -

I'm starting to kick around the idea of UPSes for some of my QA environment.
 I've got 30-ish physical servers (all 110v) and we're driving 60A of
service (3 x 20A) to about 80% utilization.  We've got a sampling of almost
every OS that matters, with a heavy dose of Linux and enterprise Unices and
a couple of SANs.

Ideally, this UPS will have a network interface that can notify me somehow
(i.e., email, SNMP trap, etc.) when it loses facility power and I can use
that to kick off automation to do an orderly suspend/shutdown of my
environment within 10-15 minutes (Note: I'm not looking for long on-battery
run-times here).

Anybody have a good experience they can share?  Bad experiences that I
should avoid replicating?

Hit me back off-list (unless you're sending me archive-worthy data) -- and
thanks in advance -

Shane O.