[TriLUG] solved: HERE document question

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Jul 27 20:00:03 EDT 2010

At 5:35pm -0600 Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> My question bombed with two of you, so the solution is to fix it at my
> end, but I couldn't think of any other way to put it even after it was
> obvious that you weren't getting it. For the moment I'll remember it as
> something that needs fixing.

Heh.  I wouldn't say it bombed, so much as it's often difficult to
explain code concepts and thought processes.  Hell, if it were easy,
would we need a LUG?  That's why I suggested you post the script in it's
entirety to a site like pastebin.com for week or so.  (They have
selectable and automatic timeouts, so your paste won't be around
forever.)  Often when outside eyes see the larger context of what you're
doing, they have fresh insights and can offer better ways to tackle the
larger problem.

On the other hand, I fully recognize that it can feel embarrassing to
share one's code because it contains ... shall we say, "imperfections".
  My only response is that I *promise* we all write bad code.
(Otherwise we'd all be out of a job, right?! ;-) )

Kevin "perfect coder" Hunter