[TriLUG] OT: Doing a Database Survey for class.

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at hrivnak.org
Wed Jul 28 22:45:47 EDT 2010

Having looked at the survey, I'd like to share this bit of basic knowledge
that is very important to understand when discussing this topic.  If you know
what DBMS stands for, you can probably hit "Delete".

Adam, your survey uses the word "database" where I believe you mean to say
"database management system".  It also happens to use the term correctly in
some places.

Mysql, postgres, oracle, mssql, etc. are all database management systems.
They are not databases.  They are used to create and manage databases.
Calling mysql a "database" is like calling Thunderbird an "email" or your
microwave "dinner".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_management_system

Best of luck,
Michael