[TriLUG] cp and a new fs, eg ntfs

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jul 30 19:12:32 EDT 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Derek Linz wrote:

> I'm not sure on cp, but I do know you should avoid ntfs-3g
> if possible-- it defaults to it sometimes but you may find
> you have a plain mount.ntfs. In my experience it's up to
> 3x faster. For the copy, I know I've used rsync and had a
> bootable windows disk as a result, but I don't remember
> the necessary flags off the top of my head.

Hi Derek

A bootable windows disk is proof that the rsync copy works.
Presumably rsync doesn't know anything about ntfs and when
it asks for a file, the OS, via the ntfs driver, hands it
the permissions and the file.

As for the other suggestion on dd - I'm more interesting in
finding out how cp works. I've got a dd copy in case I mess
up, but I really need files one by one.

Thanks
Joe