[TriLUG] cp and a new fs, eg ntfs

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sat Jul 31 00:07:30 EDT 2010

At 9:23pm -0600 Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Alan Porter wrote:
>> As long as the NTFS driver understands the permissions, and they map
>> to something reasonable in Unix permissions, yes. If they don't map to
>> Unix permissions, I believe it still works because the cp command will
>> treat them as just bits that it doesn't understand and copy them anyway.
>
> Remember that the file NAME and PERMISSIONS are not actually part of the
> file itself, but they are "meta-data" that is stored in the directory
> entry that points to the file.

Right!  It's been too long since I've actively worked with NTFS for me
to be trying to spout details.  I thought NTFS stored certain meta
information /in/ the file, something about multiple streams and "only by
convention".

As usual, listen to Alan; he knows what he's talking about.  I'm usually
just guessing ...

Kevin