[TriLUG] new laptop warranty

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at hrivnak.org
Thu Aug 26 10:47:56 EDT 2010

We are currently shopping for a basic laptop, and naturally we want to
put linux on it.  From a warranty standpoint, are there any
manufacturers that are particularly agreeable to fixing hardware
issues under warranty when linux is involved?  Any manufacturers to
avoid?

I haven't had much experience with warranty claims after changing the
OS in a long time.  But I recall that around 2001, Dell tried real
hard to not replace my clearly-broken hard drive because I'd replaced
Win 98 SE with 2000.

Have any experience to share?

Thanks,
Michael