[TriLUG] OT: Google advertising for spammers?

Russ Jones russ at virante.com
Mon Aug 30 15:29:20 EDT 2010

First off, full disclosure, the owner of my company is the CEO of iContact
(Ryan Allis).

iContact is/are not spammers. They are just a souped-up newsletter app that
allows you to use a double opt-in system for creating your mailing list or
upload your own mailing list. iContact works very hard to prevent you from
uploading untrustworthy lists but no system is perfect. They, like other
providers (ConstantContact, Vertical Response, Bronto, etc), are actively
trying to fight spam while, at the same time, facilitate the very useful
function of managing an email newsletter service.

The reason why they have a 99.9% deliverability rate is BECAUSE they have
been so effective, comparatively, of keeping out spammers, thereby allowing
them to keep their mail servers whitelisted with major ISPs and Email
Service Providers.

Russ