[TriLUG] OT: Google advertising for spammers?

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Aug 31 00:48:50 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 14:37 -0400, Scott Lambdin wrote:
> Someone please tell me I'm crazy and this below is not an ad for spammers
> Gmail is showing me.  Please.  Because is smells like spam.
>

> Free Trial - Mass Email - www.iContact.com <http://www.icontact.com/> -
> 99.9% Highest Inbox Deliverability. Test Drive our Mass Emailer Free!

I used to run Serena Restaurant and Bar in RTP and we used iContact to
send out marketing information to customers.  We enjoyed working with
iContact: we got good service at a good price and enjoyed supporting a
local business.  Their web tools are simple and easy to use and list
administration was something we could do quickly between lunch & dinner
rush.

Our marketing list was opt-in only and we always tried to communicate
something of value to our opt-in receivers.  Music, beer specials,
coupons, etc.  We never sent something that said "We have a new burger
<picture here> and if you come buy we'll sell it to you at full price."
That's the kind of thing that makes people hate marketing email I did my
best to avoid it.  One day I sent out 1/2 price coupons just to thank
people for being on the list.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services