[TriLUG] alternate ways to reduce spam

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Aug 31 13:32:04 EDT 2010

 > - it is mildly cumbersome to use in practice - particularly
 > when I am not in front of my computer.

I do the same thing.  With two improvements...

(1) I have a web form where I can enter a new alias.  That is
really easy to access from a smart phone.

(2) I have a script that creates an "email alias of the day"
in the format of "somestringMMDD at mydomain.com".  If I am
caught off-guard or away from the network, I use that address.
If the alias has not been modified in a week, it gets deleted
automatically.  If it has been updated from my web form, the
alias stays.  Typically, after the fact, I will go to the web
form and write a note about who "mail0831 at mydomain.com" is
for.  That change is enough to tell my script not to delete it.

Alan

.