[TriLUG] NAGIOS Availbility Query

Chris Knowles cknowles2112 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 18:55:08 EDT 2010

OK, longtime Nagios user here, finally catching up on the email.

If you have scheduled downtime in Nagios, the host/service is still checked
for status, the only difference is that any outage is marked in the logs as
being scheduled, and no notifications are sent out during the SDT.

However, if there is an outage, it is an *outage*, and thus is definitely
not uptime.  The availability report has a section under each of the 4
states (OK, WARNING, UNKNOWN, and CRITICAL) for "Scheduled", which is the
time that the host/service spent in a scheduled downtime period in that
state.  Thus, the outage will still be marked as a CRITICAL, in that the
host/service is down, but the report will break it out that that was a
scheduled outage, and so makes it easier for you to play with the data to
show what you want.

Note that the CRITICAL state won't be for the entire period of the SDT, just
for the actual outage period within the SDT.

So, for your example, assuming that the SDT you mention is actual outage
occuring during the SDT window, it would show, 99% "OK" and 1% "CRITICAL"
which would br broken down to 0.1% "Unscheduled CRITICAL" and 0.9%
"Scheduled CRITICAL"

Of course, as others have mentioned, all of this is apparent with a
relatively short amount of perusal of the manual and some minor
experimentation in the system.

I also recommend the Nagios mailing lists, wiki and other resources
available under the http://nagios.org community support section.

CJK