[TriLUG] /etc/sysconfig/iptables suddenly gone missing?

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Fri Sep 10 12:43:20 EDT 2010

I would recommend the following actions: (Note: this is a resend of an
earlier post that got tagged for being too long with the original
message included)

1 - Using IP tables, put a firewall in place to isolate the machine
while you investigate.  You should probably keep an SSH port open for
your own usage and use key based access only.  In case you were
compromised, this should cut things off without destroying evidence to
investigate.

2 - Look at the outputs of the following: lsof -Pwn, netstat -pane and
ps -axfwwwe.  See if there are any suspicious entries as far as open
files, attempted or active connections, or processes running.  Also look
very closely at the user logs and note if your passwd file has been
changed.

3 - The CERT checklist is pretty good for things to check:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080109214340/http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/intruder_detection_checklist.html

A lot of the above comes from Linuxquestions.org and between those guys
and this list you should be able to get a thorough analysis of the
output of these files as far as whether or not anything is suspicious.

You will want to examine all of the logs carefully, consider checking
them with logwatch.  You will want to check which files have the setuid
bits set for root.  Also change all of your passwords.  Run a verify
against the package repositories of your key applications like ssh,
apache, etc to see if any of them have been modified.  Run root kit
checks.

If all seems well, then I would say put the system back on line since
you don't really have evidence of a compromise.  You would probably want
to watch things closely and possibly install Snort or another tool that
will look for suspicious behavior.