[TriLUG] Compliments to David Zeuthen for Disk Utility

Bill Farrow bill.farrow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:16:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:26 AM, James Jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com> wrote:
> I just noticed that my main hard drive ( a sata 1.5tb ) has some bad
> sectors!!   And it is my newest drive as well :-(

Thanks for pointing out the "Disk Utility" (under "System -->
Administration" in Ubuntu 10.04).  Neat !

I have had great success using "gddrescue" to recover data from
failing hard drives.
  http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

  sudo aptitude install gddrescue

Then I use the drive manufactures disk diagnostics CD to do a low
level scan.  I believe these tools are able to mark the bad sectors
and replace them with unused ones.  Of course this would only work if
the failure is static and progressive over time or use.

Bill