[TriLUG] automount v5.0.5 multi-mount no longer works

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Sep 21 11:31:34 EDT 2010

With automount v4, I could have a line like

/passport	-fstype=ext3,noatime	/ /dev/passport1 \
 					/usr /dev/passport3 \
 					/src /dev/passport4
in a file /etc/auto.removable

The passport is an external usb drive. The devices
/dev/passport[1-4] are udev remappings of /dev/sda[1-4]
(say)

With automount v4, when I did

ls /passport/

Then the 3 partitions would be mounted under /passport.

/dev/passport1	-> /passport/
/dev/passport3	-> /passport/usr
/dev/passport4	-> /passport/src

With automount v5 this no longer works. I get "No such file
or directory", with no error messages in the logs. I get the
same response if I use the orginal devices (eg /dev/sda1),
showing that udev isn't causing the problem.

With google, I couldn't find any examples of multi-mounting
usb drives, although there are many examples of
multi-mounting nfs drives.

Anyone know how to multimount usb drives with automount v5?

Thanks Joe