[TriLUG] NetApp openings - TCP/IP stack development, FreeBSD kernel

Rodney Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 1 14:30:00 EDT 2010

NetApp is a great company, consistently winning awards for one of the best companies in the US (just recently won first place for best company by the Triangle Business Journal) and if that is not enough to convince you, we have a free beer bash every Friday afternoon (8+ beers on tap), so how can you go wrong?  And, oh yeah, in case you are wondering our salaries are very competitive with great benefits as well...

So why am I telling you about this now?  Well, NetApp has four openings in my group for experienced software developers in TCP/IP stack development on a FreeBSD kernel. Even if you don't fit all of the qualifications, but think you fit enough to prove you can fill the gaps, please pass your resume on to me and I will forward them to HR.

Btw, this is for an immediate position as we are actively interviewing now, so don't delay.

Thanx,
Rodney

----------------------------------

Software Engineer - Networking
Requisition Number:  10824BR
Location:  RTP, NC

Job Summary:
As a Software Engineer you will work as part of a team responsible for participating in the development, testing and debugging of operating systems and file systems that run NetApp storage applications. As part of the Research and Development function, the overall focus of the group is on competitive market and customer requirements, technology advances, product quality, product cost and time-to-market. Software engineers focus on enhancements to existing products as well as new product development.

Essential Functions:
- A major part of your responsibility will be to apply current skills and use up-to-date technologies to complete projects as part of the development cycle including:
- Coding
- Testing
- Test automation
- Debugging
- Reliability
- Performance analysis
- As part of a team, you will participate in technical discussions where evaluating and executing design and development plans for products are reviewed. You will have direct influence on the decisions and outcomes related to project direction.
- A willingness to work on additional tasks and responsibilities that will contribute towards team, department, and company goals.

Requirements:
- Strong grasp on C/C++.
- Expertise in networking and some background in security.
- Hands-on experience with development of TCP/IP stack.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD kernel development.
- Experience with multi-threaded development.
- Experience with development of IPv6 or IPsec/IKE protocols is a plus.
- Working experience in any of - routing, switching, VLAN, LACP, STP, Multicast, QoS, firewall, device drivers is a plus.
- Knowledge of a scripting language.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are essential.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment of other engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards.
- Experience in software design and development.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies.
- A strong understanding of basic to complex concepts related to computer architecture, data structures and programming practices.
- Ability to follow standard engineering principles and practices.
- Creative approach to problem solving.

Responsibility:
- The tasks this individual is responsible for are often non-routine and unstructured, requiring creative solutions.
- This individual will apply attained experiences and knowledge in solving complex problems.

Interaction:
- This individual must work effectively with staff to vice-president levels employees within the function, and the technical team on assigned projects. There may be communication with employees in other functions as required.
- Limited management direction is provided to employee on new projects or assignments; general guidance is provided on new assignments.
- The ideal candidate will be a proactive contributor and subject matter expert on team projects.
- To be successful, this individual must demonstrate favorable results through coaching and influencing others.

Education & Experience:
- A minimum of 4 years of experience is required. 5 to 7 years of experience is preferred.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, a Master Degree, or a PhD; or equivalent experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, moderately complex technical tasks.