[TriLUG] OT What local tv service do you use with your mythtv?

Jimmy Dorff jdorff at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 15 12:11:00 EDT 2010

I'm in the process of setting up:
TWC Digital cable box -> component -> hauppauge hd dvr -> usb -> mythtv

As of now everything works apart from changing channels on the cable
box. I have a new IR blaster that should fix this, but haven't had time
to install it yet.

We also have a Tivo HD with cable card and tuning adapter. That works,
but TWC sets the copy protect flag on all of the non-broadcast hd
channels (at least the ones I tried), so you can't use Tivo desktop to
transfer hd recordings to your laptop or portable device. I think this
also means that Tivo Multi-Room Viewing doesn't work for these channels.

I've been the most happy with a self built antenna that picks up local
broadcast great (apart from ABC11, for which I built a special Yagi
antenna).

Cheers,
Jimmy