[TriLUG] Dual-homed Internet?

Clay Stuckey cstuckey at govsg.com
Fri Oct 22 09:39:58 EDT 2010

A few thoughts here...
What you are building is a router. Your traffic will not go to disk so the hard drive will be of little importance.

severely-hardened != webmin.

If security is a concern, here are my real-world recommendations:
-Only expose the ports you need
-Use an enterprise OS that patches to DoD standards on a regular basis such as RHEL
-only install what you need. Start with a base (no core) install then add from there
- if you are getting a T1, request 2 subnets so that you can stand up a firewall between the subnets that only serves as a firewall. Then stand up your other hosts behind it in a DMZ. This typically means a /28 and a /27 subnet.
-I personally prefer hand-built firewall/routing solutions as opposed to canned solutions. It helps you to better learn what you are doing.

Clay