[TriLUG] Dual-homed Internet?

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Fri Oct 22 10:13:01 EDT 2010

  I've posted to this list on this topic before.  In contrast to the
more elaborate designs I've encouraged in the past, these days I guess I
tend to encourage simplicity.

You can what you are after using IPTABLES. You just need to do some
mangling in the PREROUTING chain.  There are lots of examples of this
all over the web.

My personal preference is to have a router sitting outside the firewall
rather than doing it all in one place. Perhaps that is because years of
Cisco experienced conditioned me to add a new device for every
networking function, as some of my co-workers assert.  I prefer to use
floating static routes on the router to handle fail-over there between
the two upstream services.  By allowing the firewall to inspect for
destination or protocol match, you can set the next hop address to be
the interface you prefer. In this way you get rule-based preference
based on packet inspection but automatic fail-over based on service
availability.