[TriLUG] Dual-homed Internet?

Jonathan Woodbury jpwoodbu at mybox.org
Fri Oct 22 16:07:23 EDT 2010

I've had great success using Debian with the base toolset (iptables, tc, ip,
bash) on slow/cheap hardware to make very nice firewall and routing devices
for small to medium business sized work loads.  It's been very rewarding
from the perspective of getting closer to the tools that really do the
work.  And I'd recommend browsing the http://lartc.org/ site for decent
guides on how to build a multi-homed setup like what you've described.

But if you're looking for something a little more user-friendly then I would
suggest investigating http://www.vyatta.com/ and their free Linux
distribution based on Debian.  I should warn you that I've not actually used
it, but their feature set is impressive and I'd love for you to write back
and give us a review! :)

Jonathan
aka.  The asserting co-worker of Ryan Leathers :)