[TriLUG] Noob Installing Intel Wireless Adapter

Scott Thomas chemikalguy at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 13:07:18 EDT 2010

I'm a linux noob, so please bear with me. I want to do a new install of Linux on
my laptop. I've tried at least ten different distros, hoping that one of them
would automatically find and install my Sony Vaio VGN-FS790's wireless adapter
(Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG), but so far, none have. I've tried the widest range
I could think of including Mepis, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSuSE,
Linux Mint, CentOS, and a few others. I don't really have a preference on
distro. I just want a Windows replacement on my laptop, and will be using it for
internet, OpenOffice, and of course learning Linux use.

After some googling, I'm confused about the driver availability. It's an older
system, so theoretically, it should be out there. Could anyone give me some
advice on how to get it running, preferably with minimal command line use? The
more detailed the instructions, the better. Like I said, I'm a noob. :)

Scott