[TriLUG] OT: Earthlink and ISPs

Thomas Ingram thomas at ravinggenius.com
Tue Nov 30 09:48:56 EST 2010

I've been using Clear for over a year now. Kudos to them, their
customer service is top-notch. I almost never have to wait too long
before someone picks up. Plus they still help me when I tell them I'm
using Linux and not Windows. However every month or two, we get
disconnected and have to call them. Usually it is a known outage, and
they are working on it. This will happen (sometimes) every night for a
week before something gets fixed. They have a standing maintenance
window from midnight to 5:00 AM, during which service may or may not
be available. Between the regular maintenance and unplanned outages,
my wife and I have had to cancel movie night several times (we stream
Netflix to our Wii a lot). Their speed is generally good enough,
though it varies wildly.

My wife and I are sticking with Clear until something better comes
along. We are both determined to not use TWC. Recently we were offered
AT&T U-Verse. We tried to sign up only to be later informed that
service is not yet available to our house.

--
Thomas Ingram ><>