[TriLUG] Live CD :: How to disable wireless support

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Wed Dec 1 16:48:38 EST 2010

Hi,
You could delete all of the kernel modules for the wireless network
cards.  These are typically located in a dir under /lib/modules/...

  rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/

This would prevent the kernel from recognizing and using any wireless
cards, including USB dongles.

The user could always download their own modules and restore wireless
access.  If you need to make it even more difficult, then you will
have to build a custom kernel without wireless support and use that on
the LiveCD.

Bill