[TriLUG] Job listing: Linux Enterprise Syst Monitor

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Dec 3 22:15:45 EST 2010

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, John Broome wrote:

> PREFERRED:
> *Experience with EMC Storage Monitoring tools
> *Extensive experience in BMC tools; able to manually set up &
> configure more than one BMC Monitoring Tool. Alternatively, equivalent
> experience in either IBM or HP monitoring tools will be considered;
> such as: 1) ProactiveNet, 2) Service Impact (SIM), 3) Event Manager
> (BEM/BIM), 4) Patrol Console, 5) Patrol Agent
> *Experience with Shell scripting and/or PERL
> *Additional experience using or monitoring Solaris systems

I can never figure out whether these quite specific skills
are reasonable requirements, or not.

I can't imagine it would take long (a couple of weeks) for
any half intelligent person to become reasonably proficient
at any of them; maybe 6 months for the lot. In this case are
they looking for some unintelligent person who only has
these skills? What will happen when the work load changes?
Will they need to hire a new unintelligent person?

Instead of "PREFERRED" could they say "your job will be to
run/use/administer the following tools/apps..."

Joe