[TriLUG] dual boot laptop loosing boot info

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Dec 7 21:57:02 EST 2010

I've got a new (for me) laptop, a Thinkpad X60.

It's dual booting linux slackware 13.1/winxp with grub 0.92.

Every half dozen or so reboots, instead of getting the
grub boot menu, grub comes up with

GRUB

and nothing else. AFAIK this is not one of the listed grub
messages, so I don't know what this means. I can boot to
linux off a cdrom or usb stick and when I'm in linux, I can
run

grub-install /dev/sda

and the machine boots another couple of times before giving
me the same problem. This was on a new hard disk that was OK
with badblocks and smartctl. I replaced the disk and get the
same problem.

I only boot to windows when someone needs windows help,
which is about once a month or so.

When I check windows after having been through a few cycles
of running grub-install, I find winxp won't boot from a
functioning grub anymore. Whether it stopped booting the
first grub failure, I don't know.

One time, wxp after chainloading, just did nothing (no disk
activity, nothing), but I could still mount the files just
fine with ntfs-3g

Another time, the NTFS file system was shot and couldn't be
mounted (and it wouldn't boot either).

I assume the boot sector is being over written, but I can't
imagine what would be doing that. Once time the NTFS file
system was trashed as well

I'm not getting any hardware problems (no freezes, hangs, no
dirty ext3 filesystems on reboot), so it doesn't seem likely
to be hardware.

I've got everything backed up, so I just dd the copy back on
the disk and I'm going again, but this is a pain.

Any ideas where to look?

Thanks Joe