[TriLUG] CentOS 5.5: kickstart shmall and shmmax woes

Brian Weaver cmdrclueless at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 08:05:35 EST 2011

Kristopher,

That's effectively what I did. I added the following code to the %pre section

sysctl=`which sysctl`
if [ -n "$sysctl" -a -x "$sysctl" ]  ; then
	"$sysctl" -w kernel.shmmax=4294967295 kernel.shmall=268435456
fi

This works around the problem and things now work as expected. I guess I was just hoping to understand why it change on one type of install and not on another. Also, I wondered if anyone had any ideas on what I might look for since I couldn't find the change in any obvious location.

-- Weave