[TriLUG] Thinkpad shutting off?

Joel James Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 13 13:40:12 EST 2011

Hello Triluggers,

Thanks to all of you that gave me pointers while I was shopping for a
laptop.  I ended up getting a Thinkpad X100e and it's working great
EXCEPT that the last two days when I've gone to lunch I've come back to
find the screen blank (off), the power button illuminated, but unable to
wake up the machine.  I pressed every button on the keyboard and nothing
happened at all.  Eventually I just shut it off and rebooted.

Any ideas what it's doing or what I can do to revive it?  I presume this
is a "feature not a bug."  I'm new to laptops and I'm unfamiliar with
what feature this might be.  I can suspend it, hibernate it and bring it
back just fine, but just leaving it to do its thing produces this zombie
mode.

Thanks,

Joel

--