[TriLUG] UPS Recommendations?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Jan 16 20:28:23 EST 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, Randy Barlow wrote:

> I've read that typical inexpensive UPS's (I think we
> should call them LIPS - Less Interruptible Power
> Supplies), don't actually produce sine waves, but
> approximations of sine waves, often with stepping or
> triangulation when they switch to battery power.

They used to produce square waves. Now they produce modified
square waves (hope this ASCII art survives mailing)

     ---
    |   |
---     ---     ---
            |   |
             ---

this is a better approximation to a sine wave and clocks at
twice the rate, making it easier to build.

A peak reading AC voltmeter (which is many meters) will not
show 120V for non-sinusoidal waves like this, even though
the RMS voltage is 120V. Best test is to try a 100W light
bulb.

A square wave device like a UPS is not designed for
inductive loads (eg motor running under load). I don't
expect anything will blow. You just may not be able to
deliver any power to the motor. I don't know much about
this.

> I also read that such signals can be damaging to the UPS
> and the power supply.

not true.

I've been using the output from switched power supplies (the
one's generating the above waves) sine the 60's and never
blown a thing attached to them. The only people saying this,
I expect, are the makers of sine wave power supplies.

> It seems that Pure Sine Wave UPS's cost a whole lot more.

they're enormously more difficult to build.

Joe