[TriLUG] your favorite lowish cost thin laptop

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Tue Jan 18 10:53:59 EST 2011

Cristóbal Palmer <cmp at cmpalmer.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Mark Kempster <mark at kempster.org> wrote:
>>
>> I ran across a dell 'vostro v130' which seems like a fairly reasonable
>> option ($430, ships with ubuntu) but I'm not sure about the single
>> cpu. I'd prefer to purchase either a no-os or a linux distro (to avoid
>> paying for a windows license that I won't use), but System76 is a bit
>> beyond my price point.
>
> I'd like to just say a couple of things about windows license price
> and total laptop price right quick.
>
> 1) I've never had my hands on a laptop costing under $700 that I would
> use as an everyday laptop.

Cristobal and Jim,

What the heck are you using your laptops for?  As I've previously
mentioned I have little experience with laptops, but I am just sincerely
curious.  What "horsepower" do you need and for what?  Are you rendering
video or something?  What is "everyday needs?"  My daily needs are
checking email, writing papers, writing C and Scheme, and browsing the
web.  Your needs must be very different.

I'm not taking any of what you said as critical of my suggestion to the
OP, I just want to know what people are doing out there.  I've had my
"low-powered" laptop for 1.5 weeks and I've found it amazingly fast,
responsive and way more "high-powered" than I expected when I bought it.
I would have been satisfied if it was a little laggy, but it's not.  I
think if I found this machine lacking for my daily needs, I would
reconsider my daily needs ;)

The answer could also be "Have you driven a Ford lately?"

To answer your question Jim, the X100e comes in a dual-core "elite"
version, but I bought the single-core version (unless Lenovo made a $100
mistake in my favor :)

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj