[TriLUG] looking for resume writer/improver

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Jan 23 08:40:46 EST 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011, Maxwell Spangler wrote:

> I've observed with professional resume writers that
> because their clients are anybody -- in any line of work
> who wants to pay them -- they tend to try to make every
> client's resume into a dry, classic, standard style.
> It's lowest common denominator and that doesn't make you
> shine above the other resumes people are considering or
> make them want to interview.

I talked to 3 professional resume writers on fri/sat,
including a free 20min phone critique of my resume. Two were
off the internet and one was a recommendation from a person
on this list.

They were uncomfortable with a techical person and needed
reassuring that I didn't want to be a manager. They
protested too long and loud that they did resumes of
professional people (whatever that is - I thought it was
doctors and lawyers, but I understood I was one of them).

I would have been more assured if they showed some
understanding of the computer industry. Clearly it's
impossible for a generic resume writer to know all fields of
employment.

Presumably they cater to managers because at some level
managers are generic (cut costs, grew the business). Any
knowledge particular to their field wouldn't show in one of
these resumes.

Two people recommended Richard Hart's 3*8hr course at Wake
Tech

http://bic.waketech.edu/resumewriting.php

which won't start again till the fall. He has a book

"Make Your Resume Talk"

which I've ordered

Joe