[TriLUG] looking for resume writer/improver

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Sun Jan 23 22:02:16 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 08:21 -0800, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> These two statements crystallise the problem.
>
> How do you not insult the reader, without risking leaving
> out things that they may be looking for?

You try your best to imagine what a "reasonable" idea of the reader is
and write to him or her.  You hope that they are in fact not completely
to the left or right or your imagined person.

> You could leave out the old stuff, on the basis that no-one
> uses that technology now, but you solved the problem of the
> moment with the tools available then, showing that you can
> solve today's problems today.

It's been my experience with tech jobs that old technologies are
worthless to employers because they are not now or in the future going
to work with them.

Consider all your work with DOS, SCO UNIX, Windows 9x, serial terminals,
ISA, EISA and [traditional] SCSI busses.  Not to mention all those past
programming environments that aren't used anymore.

On one hand I can't blame employers for this short-term thinking.
Changes are moving so fast in the world that most employers only guess
where things will be 12 months from now and know that 24-48 months from
now things may be very different.  They have to adapt more quickly than
ever before or perish as the victim of someone who is a step or two
ahead.  (Hello, Myspace!)

I think they consider it easier to hire subject matter experts in what
they need now, especially as contractors, then just hire different SMEs
when the future tells them what new or different needs they will need.

This means you need to think of yourself more in the future like a free
agent, always looking out for yourself to be ready for sudden changes
and unexpected opportunities.  Save your stories of old DOS or Netware
accomplishments for the end of the interview when its the icing on the
cake about your character.  For now, focus on what you can do
immediately to contribute and consider how you will be improving your
skills for yourself and them in the future.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services