[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Jan 31 21:19:40 EST 2011

I thought I'd chime in on this with a bit more personal color.  I have
attempted to give money to TriLUG in the past, and been blocked by the
lack of the 501(c) status.  In particular, Google has a few charitable
giving and gift-matching programs which Googlers can leverage to
funnel funds to non-profits of our choosing.  The most salient of
which was the SPC (Self Powered Commuter) program.  When I lived in
CA, I biked to work most every day for several years, accumulating
lots of miles logged in the SPC program.  In short, for each day you
bike in, you can donate $$ to a non-profit.  In short, after amassing
on the order of four figures worth of money, I went to go figure out
how to donate it to TriLUG.  After much wrangling, because TriLUG
isn't incorporated with NC as a 501(c)3, I wasn't able to donate the
money to TriLUG.  It went to the EFF, so imho it wasn't a total loss,
but I'd have much rather padded the pizza fund with that money.  :)

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's tried to donate money through
similar corporate vehicles, but been unable to.  I realize it's a pain
to maintain the paperwork with the state, but in terms of viability of
the organization, I do think it's worth it.

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - I won't be able to make the next meeting, so I'll have to resign
myself to hopefully swaying some minds via the mailing list.