[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Feb 3 12:11:20 EST 2011

I don't have enough info to vote yet.

I started going through the .WAV file, but the prospect is
daunting and I don't have any guarantee that I'll find what
I want.

The vote has been presented as "do we want to dissolve the
corp?" (or something close to that)

o what state are we in?

I understand that we aren't a 501(c)(3) anymore as the
result of someone in CA pulling a plug. Are we in a defined
legal status now or does something need to be fixed? If
it's fixed, what state will we be in?

o what state(s) can we move to?

>From statements in this thread, we can be an IRS 501(c)(3),
an NC State non-profit or just a bunch of people who meet
now and then by mutual agreement.

I understand that we owe money and/or paperwork to the State
(last meeting, Alan said that we were paying a lawyer to fix
some problems). How long do we have to fix this? What
happens if we exceed the time?

For the state(s) we can moveto, what are the consequences
for TriLUG of those moves? (what can we do/not do, what's
required to maintain the state)? Do we have someone who
understands how to execute the transitions and maintain the
new state?

o What are TriLUG's finances? What's our burn rate, income,
obligations (I assume maintaining the server, and pizza for
meetings)?

I assume before we can make a sensible decision on our next
step, we need to know where we are and where we can goto

Thanks
Joe