[TriLUG] High Volume Hosting

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Feb 4 14:40:25 EST 2011

As an interesting aside, and it partly came to mind because you're
signature describes your company names as "Android Does", you could
use Google's AppEngine hosting for this.  It works quite well even for
static content, and of course supports dynamic content via Python or
Java, with flexible and scalable backend database storage, etc.  The
cost is in-line with some of the other options (750GB/month translates
into about $90/month of cost).  You can manage this cost by setting
daily budgets, so your billing won't suddenly get out-of-control when
you're not looking.

A few nice advantages are client tools to manage and upload your
package, keep multiple versions of the website online and accessible,
and you can flip the "live" bit to which ever version you like.  For
example, upload a new copy of the site with a version of 'dev' and
access it at dev.yoursite.com, and when you've tested it and are
happy, you can click a radio button to make it live at
www.yoursite.com.  Find a bug?  Click another radio button to roll it
back.  If you've got a development staff used to revision control for
websites it's cheesy, but if you've got no SysAdmins and just want an
easy way to manage your website w/o managing a whole linux install,
it's awfully handy.  As a bonus, if you get hugely popular, scaling
your website is as easy as increasing the budget, up to truly insane
quantities of qps and transfer rates.  No Sys Admin staff required.
:)

If you're just looking to try it out for a test run, the default
quotas are quite generous.  43.2 million queries, 1GB of transfer, and
6.5 CPU hours per day.
The service's landing page:
http://code.google.com/appengine/
The basics:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/billing.html
The gory details:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html

Best of luck!
Aaron S. Joyner

PS - I'm not just plugging services for my employer, I actually use
this solution for quite a few websites I've developed for friends and
their businesses.  They fall inside the generous free hosting, so it's
an awesome infrastructure, that's easy to scale if they grow, and it's
free to boot.

PPS - If you're mostly delivering that 750GB of transfer in
distributing a binary blob or a couple static files, and you meet some
basic requirements, you can use code.google.com's project hosting,
which will serve it up for free:
http://code.google.com/hosting/
http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/DownloadsFAQ#Are_there_any_restrictions_to_how_much_bandwidth_a_download_can