[TriLUG] Thinkpad Battery Charging Thresholds

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 15 22:13:32 EST 2011

Robert Dale <robdale at gmail.com> writes:

> Everyone's situation is different, but in my real life experience,
> battery lifetime appears to be long enough that the effort required to
> baby-sit the battery isn't worth it. Even if you took 2 minutes every
> work day, that's 8 hours of baby sitting time.  A baby-sitter
> typically makes $12/hr.  So, at the end of the day, I've done no extra
> work, wasted no time and get 80% of my battery, while you've wasted
> $96 on baby-sitting and realized only 47% of your battery's potential.

I don't know where you're going with all the talk of temperature.

What I'm trying to avoid is buying another batter in less than 14
months.  If I can do that by simply taking the battery out when I *can*
plug in the machine, or not fully charging it, then it's worth it.  Even
if it only means the battery lasts eighteen months, I've gotten four
months closer to where the machine might be obsolete.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj
CB #3280, Coker Hall