[TriLUG] Solaris and Active Directory

stan briggs stanbriggs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 14:16:49 EST 2011

all,

yes, i did just go there.

for reasons that i really don't want to get into i've been asked to look
into using MS' Active Directory for our Solaris server's LDAP back-end (to
replace NIS). so, let me ask, right up front, "has anyone done this?". now
let me define what "this" is and why i'm feeling kinda' stuck.

   1. i've been able to find some good sites that describe replacing NIS
   with AD (
   http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782811%28WS.10%29.aspx is
   probably one of the best ones. but this just replaces NIS services on a
   Solaris box with NIS services on a Windows AD server. it does not replace
   NIS.
   2. i've been able to find some good sites that describe using AD as an
   LDAP backend for user authentication (
   http://wikis.sun.com/display/SecureGlobalDesktop/HOWTO+Use+Active+Directory+as+a+Solaris+Authentication+Sourceis
a good reference for that). it even does a good job of describing the
   necessary kerberos implementation. since i'm not intimate with LDAP (yes,
   i'm embarrassed) i'm not sure if or how maps like the maps that automount
   uses (auto_master and auto_home) get deployed in LDAP.

so, there is my quandary. can anyone make suggestions or point to
documentation of successful deployments?
thanks,
stan

--
Stan B. Briggs