[TriLUG] Semi-OT: vmware vmotion

Jason Evans jason.s.evans at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 12:42:17 EST 2011

Hi all,

I've got 2 servers both running esxi 4.1 each with 1 datastore.  I'm
trying to get vmotion to work between the two servers with the VM
powered on without creating a go-between NFS share.  In vshpere, I
have a datacenter (XYZ) created and under the datacenter, I have
cluster (ABC) created.  In the cluster is host 1 and host 2.  The VM
is running RHEL5 and the goal is to migrate it from host 1 to host 2
without shutting it down.  All of the documentation that I've seen
says that an NFS share must be created or an external LUN must be
connected to for this to work.  Is there another way of doing this?
Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jason