[TriLUG] question about backups

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:39:10 EST 2011

Warning, the following is going to be way too geeky for 99 44/100% of
the TMUG readership:

It's pretty normal to do this on linux systems with RSync using hard
links.  This way physical copies of files are only backed up when they
change, otherwise directories point to the same unchanged versions of
files if that makes sense.  I'd imagine the same thing could be down
with OS X.  Here's what I think is the seminal page on the idea
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

It actually wouldn't surprise me if TimeMachine were doing something
like this under the covers.

Another idea might be to use git. While git is thought of mainly as a
source code repository system, at it's heart it's really a versioned
'file' system which uses SHA hashes to provide a content addressable
system.