[TriLUG] ulimit problem when trying to su - oracle

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Fri Mar 4 20:25:52 EST 2011

A pity oracle can't be bothered to tell you which resource it can't
obtain. :)

Perhaps there is a hard kernel limit you are reaching. Even 'unlimited'
values do have some kind of a limit.

Try investigating kernel limit values using sysctl -a.

Try looking into /proc/#/fd to see how many files oracle processes have
open.

Try looking into /proc/sys/kernel (a lot of duplicates here also visible
in sysctl -a).

Try looking at /var/log/kern.log.

In the past, on Solaris, I remember having to change shm (shared memory)
and sem (semaphore) values from their defaults, or risk Oracle doing
this kind of thing.

Just some thoughts.

--bak