[TriLUG] script to convert/sync FLAC to MP3

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 07:50:33 EDT 2011

Slightly OT, but...

Once you have identified your converter utility, have a look at the gnu "parallel" utility.  Many of the utilities we use everyday operate on a single file at a time and won't use multi-core CPUs to their fullest potential.  Using the parallel utility, you can run multiple processes at the same time in batches of <num-of-cpu-cores>.  If you have a quad-core CPU, you can easily run 4 jobs at the same time - potentially cutting down the processing time dramatically.  I personally use this tool to quickly compress lots of web server log files.  Very cool utility.

http://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/

Thanks,

-Ron
rkelleyrtp at gmail.com