[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 11:40:01 EDT 2011

Hi Dave,

I enjoyed our private conversation on this topic and was a bit
disappointed to see you have carried it on here at TriLUG without me. In
light of this, I shall share my once-private response to your email on
TriLUG.

On 03/15/2011 10:52 AM, David Burton wrote:

[snip]

> One exception: if Wilson were to give their service away for free (like the
> free WiFi at Moore Square in Raleigh), that would *not* violate the law.
> The law will only apply to services offered for a fee.

You are wrong. This bill will shut down Raleigh's free WiFi service. The
City of Raleigh's attorneys have thoroughly reviewed the bill and that's
one of the reasons Raleigh opposes it.

This bill will have many other unintended consequences. Asheville
resells access on their public safety network to private providers,
helping alleviate their network's cost to the taxpayers. This bill would
also eliminate that arrangement, resulting in unhappy private providers
and taxpayers.

We don't need more government red tape to solve a problem that does not
exist. The bill in its current for cannot be allowed to pass.

Cheers,
Mark