[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Tue Mar 15 12:14:50 EDT 2011

Order a book on Amazon, shipped from the west coast on a Friday.  Pay the
cheaper, slower government Postal Service Priority Mail for $3 and there
is a good chance you will have it on Monday and if not probably by
Tuesday.

Or you can pay a private company like FedEx or UPS to ship and pay $35-$50
for the same delivery.

With the govt service, your book travels on Saturday and Sunday.  With the
private service, it sits in a warehouse.

To be fair, the Postal Service IS a hybrid organization, neither entirely
private nor entirely govt, giving it some of the advantages of both
worlds.

Sometimes the public sector can and does deliver better than the private
sector.  If Internet service is one of these areas, it should have that
opportunity, not have legislation to ensure the profitability of the
existing provider.