[TriLUG] Red Hat is hiring!

adam at linkedlistcorruption.com adam at linkedlistcorruption.com
Tue Mar 15 12:36:59 EDT 2011

Hi all!

Red Hat is hiring and I thought there may be some folks in the LUG interested. We're looking for people to work in tech support. These would be frontline generalist positions with a *lot* of oppurtunity to specialize and grow. We're looking for folks for the OS side and for JBOSS. In either case being a RHEL or JBOSS guru is not required but being comfortable using Linux and/or Java would be a good baseline. Red Hat provides a lot of really good training so you don't have to come in a pro.

You can apply to the positions at:
https://careers.redhat.com/ext/detail?redhat7131

If you want to eat, sleep, and breath FOSS then this is an awesome job. You can't make it from your desk to the break room without joining an interesting conversation about Linux, Android, free software, etc. The people are awesome and so much fun to work with. The oppurtunity to learn about Linux and related topics that working at Red Hat provides is incredible and there's ample oppurtunity to grow. I really can't praise working for Red Hat enough, so if you are interested I encourage you hit the link and apply.

Thanks!
Adam

P.S. Here's the official job description stuff I was supposed to include:

 The Role:
 As a fast-paced, high-growth company, Red Hat is regularly seeking associate-level, technical support engineers to add to the team that provides frontline support for Red Hat product releases. If you are customer-focused technology enthusiast that shares our passion for driving open source solutions into the mainstream by making high-quality, low-cost technology more accessible to the enterprise, please apply. All applicants will be reviewed against immediate and future needs.

 A Frontline Technical Support Engineer will provide technical support for customer issues primarily via web and phone. Includes basic troubleshooting of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and layered products -- including Red Hat Cluster Suite, Red Hat Satellite, Red Hat Proxy, etc. Knowledge of and previous experience with these products is preferred, but is not required. This position requires an exceptional diagnostic capacity and very clear and effective communications abilities. In addition to providing support via the phone and the web, technicians will be required to research issues by working in conjunction with senior-level engineers and developers to timely resolve customer issues.

 The work location will be Red Hat's Corporate Headquarters - located on N.C. State's Centennial Campus in Raleigh, North Carolina.

 Primary Duties&  Responsibilities:
 • Provide technical support to customers by taking incoming calls and responding to web-based inquiries
 • Perform diagnostics of problems, troubleshoot and develop solutions for customer issues
 • Exceed customer expectations with outstanding customer service
 • Consult with and develop relationships with in-house engineers and developers to drive creative solutions and improve customer satisfaction
 • Contribute to global Red Hat knowledge management system in the process of working customer issues

 Job Requirements
 Required Skills&  Experience:
 • Basic Linux system administration experience
 • Clear understanding of Linux internals and open source software
 • Must have strong troubleshooting/debugging skills and a passion for problem solving and investigation
 • First-rate customer service, prior help desk experience and/or customer-focused experience is a must
 • Application debugging skills preferred
 • Strongly prefer knowledge of installation methods, networking, firewall, security, clustering, web servers, and databases using Linux
 • Prefer some previous software development/programming experience
 • Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure

 Education:
 • BS/BA degree or equivalent experience within the enterprise IT sector
 • Prior RHCE or other Linux certification would be considered a huge advantage (Red Hat Certified Engineer certification will be required within 60 days of start)

 Languages:
 • Must possess outstanding English communication skills
 • Fluency in an additional language would be a plus (Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, etc.)