[TriLUG] steering at trilug.org

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Mar 18 04:58:19 EDT 2011

At 6:29pm -0400 Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> Since so many people don't configure SPF properly anyways, it's kinda
> of pointless.

Could you define "properly"?  As in, don't set it up at all, don't get
the syntax right, have gibberish setups, or something else?  (And I
assume we're talking v1.0, yes?)

As I understand it (which is probably totally wrong), SPF makes sense in
concept, but relies on a corporate centric view of the world.  That is,
it assumes all entities of a group will send email through specific
gateways.  But then you have groups like freedesktop.org (just as an
example, not to hype or gripe), that have developers all over the world
-- often with their own mail setups -- who send email with a from
address @freedesktop.org.  They have no interest in requiring their
developers to send through certain gateways, and so see no point in
setting the effectively useless directive "v=spf1 +all".

Kevin