[TriLUG] laptop battery replacement, where to buy?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sun Mar 27 17:02:08 EDT 2011

At 4:18pm -0400 Sun, 27 Mar 2011, John Brier wrote:
> I think I jinxed myself by saying my laptop battery was still going
> fine 3 years later in the "Thinkpad Battery Charging Thresholds"
> thread from February because now my battery is dying unexpectedly,

I was actually wondering about that.  I've never had a battery last as
long as you'd advertised, and I was wondering if you ever /actually/
used the battery to test the longevity of it's life.  Usually, my
batteries follow a linear decay with about a half-hour (non-intensive
usage) of charge-capacity after about 3 years.

> with the system completely powering off w/o warning.. power
> statistics in Gnome tells me it now only keeps 47% capacity.

I don't know how much time/energy you want to throw at this, but on my
todo list one of these days is to get my hands dirty along the lines of
this 2.5 year old article:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/rebuilding-laptop-battery

I'm just waiting for the culmination of having-time and for my battery
to die.  Really the latter, because as long as I can use standby and get
from socket A to socket B, I'm good.

Cheers,

Kevin